Friday, December 16, 2016

Custard Tart

Recently an all vegan bakery opened up near me. It was a very exciting day for both me and my fiance, Timothy, and you'll probably see a review of the place up soon. It was magical! However, much to Tim's disgust, they didn't have any custard tarts. I then took it upon myself to rush home and create a custard tart - which wasn't easy, considering I've never had one before, but I think I did a pretty good job!






What You'll Need:

For the crust:
2 cups of flour (of your choice - gf is fine)
1 super ripe banana
1 tsp stevia
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/4 cup plant-milk (I use soy)

For the custard:
I used this custard for my tart. However, I also hear this brand makes a vegan one (always check labels!) and easier to find. HOWEVER, if you can't find these / want to make your own, there are some great recipes here. (I really really recommend the Organ custard. I've used in in multiple things, including trifle, and it is ALWAYS a success!)


What You'll Need To Do:
  1. Preheat your oven to 140 degrees Celsius. 
  2. In a large bowl, mash up the banana until it's almost liquid. 
  3. Add in the soy milk, vanilla, stevia and flour and mix until well combined.
  4. Put the batter in the freezer for about ten minutes, or at least whilst making the custard.
  5. I made my custard by following the directions on the back of the box and mixing the custard powder, soy milk and vanilla.
  6. Put the custard to the side to let it sit.
  7. Take the batter out of the freezer, and dust a clean surface with some extra flour.
  8. With a rolling pin, roll the batter out until it's around 1-2cm thick and even.
  9. Take a non-stick pie tin, and press the batter into the pan evenly. 
  10. Pour the custard ontop evenly.
  11. Sprinkle the top with some cinnamon.
  12. Cook for  35 minutes or until the custard is set.
  13. Let cool for around 10 minutes and then enjoy!
  14. Please let me know if you try this recipe out - I always love seeing people's recreations of my dishes. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment