Friday, August 26, 2016

Vegan Hummingbird Cake (OIL FREE)



I have to preface this recipe with a very strong disclaimer. I've never had, nor have I even really seen hummingbird cake in real life. Through research I've found it is a Southern dish.. and being from Queensland, Australia I don't come across foods like this very often. However, someone at work baked some the other day and even though I couldn't eat it myself, I was determined to recreate it! It may not be entirely authentic, but it is delicious!



What you'll need:
3 cups of flour
1 cup of sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 mashed large banana
1 425g tin of pineapple (incl juice!)
3 tbsp of water
1/2 cup of shredded coconut (optional)
1 tbsp of vanilla essence
1 egg replacer (I used an actual egg replacer, but a flax egg would suffice!)

For the frosting:
1 cup of cashews (soaked overnight)
3 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp vanilla essence
5 strawberries

For decoration: (optional)
Dried pineapple
Fresh strawberry
Shredded coconut
Pecans
Whatever else you'd like!

What you'll need to 
1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. Sift together the flour, sugar, cinnamon and baking powder into a large bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, mash up the banana and then combine it into the large bowl.
4. Add the vanilla, water, egg replacer, juice from the pineapple tin and coconut. Mix well.
5. Chop the pineapple into small pieces and fold into the mixture.
6. Pour the mixture evenly into two non-stick cake pans that are the same size.
7. Bake for 40 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
8. Remove cake from tins and put to the size to cool.
9. In a food processor or high speed blender, mix together all of the ingredients for the frosting.
10. Once the cake is cooked, ice one of the cakes and put the other on top. I also put some extra strawberries and coconut on top of this layer.
11. Position second layer on top and frost liberally. Add any decorations you'd like- I used strawberries and dried pineapple.
12. Pop in the fridge for the frosting to set and then serve and enjoy!

Please let me know if you try this recipe out. It's something a little different for me and I'd love to see your recreations and hear your feedback! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment