Sunday, June 5, 2016

Spicy Oil-Free Mayo

 

Mayonnaise is a tough one. Firsly, it's basically just egg sauce. However, a lot of the time commercially bought "fat free" mayos are vegan. Which is random, but still cool. Of course like most delicious things, fat free mayo is still not really fat free and in turn is terrible for you. You know what isn't terrible for you? Bean juice. It may SOUND terrible, but goodness gracious is it valuable!

I used to LOVE sweet chili mayo. I also used to work at a popular fast food establishment (for seven whole years) that used sweet chili mayo that I would essentially live on. Of course I'm now vegan and I haven't worked there in over a year so it's been a while since I last had a good spicy mayo. I'd also heard on the grapevine that aquafaba (the liquid from a can of beans) can make a mean mayo. Add sriracha. Happiness ensured.


What you'll need:

  • 1 400g can of Cannelloni beans (the liquid AND the bean) 
  • 2 tbsps of sriracha 
  • 2 tbsps of lemon juice
  • 1 tbsp garlic powder
  • 1 tbsp onion powder 

What you'll need to do:
  1. Drain and rinse the beans, making sure you keep the liquid.
  2. Put the liquid aside into a bowl and beat with a hand mixer for about four minutes or until nice and fluffy.

  3. In a food processor/high speed blender, place the beans, sriracha, lemon juice, garlic powder and onion powder. Mix until combined.
  4. Add 1/2 a cup of the aquafaba (liquid from bean can mixed up) and process again until combined.
  5. That's it! Enjoy your spicy mayo. You can always add more or less sriracha depending on how spicy you like it. This isn't too bad - you could definitely add more!

This mayo is AMAZING with my nugget recipe, or even on a good vege burger or just with some chips. Let me know if you try it out! I'd love to see.

6 comments:

  1. Hi how long will it keep in the frig?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi how long will it keep in the frig?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stacy!

      The mayo should last for around a week in the fridge, so long as it's in an air tight container. Always check to see if the smell has changed before you use it. Thanks! Enjoy your mayo!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my god yum! I think you've really struck gold with those one. Mayo is not one of my favorite things typically, but reading through the ingredients list makes me so excited to try this! Also love the idea of adding it to your nuggets or veg burger. yum yum yum
    www.sprinklesandsaturdays.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep hearing about aquafaba and am so intrigued to experiment with it.

    xx Jean
    www.skylineblossoms.com

    ReplyDelete