Thursday, June 2, 2016

Chocolate and Raspberry Porridge



Here at Every Tree of the Garden, we (I) like our (my) breakfasts to be quick, fast, portable, filling and nutritious. Sometimes, especially when you have to leave really early in the morning, this is a hard thing to accomplish. I also love a good warm breakfast, especially as it starts to cool down here in Australia, so smoothies are just not going to cut it! (Sidenote - how on Earth do people get FULL on a smoothie?! They are a snack! Not a breakfast!)


Now, food bloggers and anyone that knows anything about food at all are going to cringe at this recipe. I love microwaving my porridge. I don't like it cooked on the stove. It takes too long, it creates more cleaning and it just doesn't taste the same. Oh, and I'm lazy. Sometimes I get so lazy that I cook my porridge in a rice cooker, but that's a whole other story.           

Is there anyway to make porridge look good? Look, probably, but if anyone is going to figure it out it sure as heck isn't going to be me.

TL;DR - I like to have porridge for breakfast most mornings. On Fridays, I like to slice it up. Thus, the choc raspberry porridge was born.


What you'll need:

  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 1 cup raspberries (you can absolutely use frozen - I do!)
  • 1 tbsp cacao/cocoa powder
  • 2 cups water 
  • 1 super duper ripe banana
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence
What you'll need to do:
  1. Mash up your banana in a bowl.
  2. Add in your oats and mix together.
  3. Put in your water. If you like yours either more or less thick, just adjust the water!
  4. Mix together and then add in the cacao powder and vanilla.
  5. If you're using frozen berries, add them in now. If you're not, add them in at half way.
  6. Put in the microwave for five minutes.
  7. You can top it with some shredded coconut or nuts or whatever you're into if you'd like. I just eat my porridge like this! Some coconut yoghurt could go nicely too. 
  8. Enjoy! Eat it every Friday like me, or every single day if you want. Oats are SO good for you, and this will keep you going for hours!
You can obviously use this exact recipe if you're a stove-top porridge cooker and just adjust the steps. Or you could even turn it into an overnight oats recipe. Oats are so versatile, and that's why I'm obsessed with them. Let me know if you try this out!






2 comments:

  1. I'm totally with you! Breakfasts should be super easy and fast. Also, totally agree smoothies are a great snack or accompaniment to a meal but not usually enough on their own. This looks delish! Definitely need to try it.
    www.sprinklesandsaturdays.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds so delicious!

    XoXo,

    Tamara - LoveofMode.com

    ReplyDelete