Monday, March 7, 2016

Homemade Oat Milk

Over the past three months, I've been following a completely oil-free diet in an attempt to cure the magnitude of stomach aches that I've suffered with my entire life. Surprisingly, I think I've finally found something that works and I'll definitely be keeping oil off the plate in the near future. (If anyone would like a blogpost about this, please let me know!)

One of the hardest things to find without oil is milk. Can you believe that almond, coconut, soy, rice, oat and hemp milks all (typically) have added oils? Not only is that weird, it's also almost (not quite) as frustrating as 'added milk solids'. Ugh. So.. I did what I always do and I've made my own! Yay!


What you'll need:
1 x cup rolled oats
3 x filtered water
1 x tbsp vanilla essence 
OPTIONAL: sweetener of your choice (I left this out)
A fine sieve, a blender and some cups/bowls.

What you'll need to do:
1. Thoroughly rinse and drain your oats to remove any slime that may form when blending the milk.
2. Blend your oats, vanilla and water together until well combined.
3. Once blended, pour through fine sieve. This can be time consuming, but shouldn't be too difficult.
4. Repeat steps 2-3 again to ensure the oats are well combined.
4. Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for about five days.

5 comments:

  1. How much water should I add? Is it 3 cups? I've been looking for a simple way to make oat milk and want to try this out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops - sorry! Yes it's three cups. Let me know how you go!

      Delete
  2. Are you able to use the leftover solids in recipes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you able to use the leftover solids in recipes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Stacy, what a brilliant idea!

      Delete